30 YEARS AND THRIVING
30 YEARS AND THRIVING!
I was doing my writing this morning which I do on a daily basis. This year, I am celebrating my 30th year in the Real Estate Industry. I have had the opportunity to be in many areas of Real Estate that created a great lifestyle for my family and also met many great friends and mentors along the way. I was thinking about what I can share with you from the last 30 years of accomplishments and coaching many others along my journey. The first thing that came to mind is what we deal with on a daily basis from all the media outlets and the events around the world. I thought about all the highs and lows I have come across these past 30 years and what helped me to survive and stay focused on the success and not get attached to the outcomes I cannot control. I thought I would share a few thoughts…
The difference from 30 years ago and today within the real estate industry is the media and the information we receive. It has played a huge part of people’s thoughts and actions. We want to believe everything that is written and, very few of us, will be able to determine what is real and what is fake. Most of the time, it causes conflict within us to either have excuses for failures or disbelief in the goals or directions we have set. What I know is that through three different market changes, I had a choice to either accept it or understand and move forward with a plan to survive through the changing market. I chose to always look at the market and evaluate what changes I needed to make to steer my company in the direction to achieve our goals. Trust me… It was not easy, yet if I wanted to survive, I had to work harder and smarter than my competition in order to survive the outcomes. I have seen so many agents and brokers come and go through the 30 years who have all had a common approach. They were not willing to make the changes necessary to move forward. They would focus on the things that were not working and buy into the excuses and failures that caused their outcomes.
What does this all mean… Thoughts on thriving in changing markets:
- Be coachable! I have been mentored and coached by a few of the best in the Industry. They assisted in my mindset and game plan in order to achieve the distinct success I was seeking.
- Be honest about your goals and past history. The only way to improve and move forward towards your growth is to be completely open to move from the past. The discussions may be painful, but the opportunities to move forward are endless.
- Be open to advice and criticism in order to discover your strengths and weaknesses. The best way to get instant gratification and results is to build on your strengths and either remove or improve on the weak areas. Sometimes you will not hear what you want from your coach, but you will realize your personality is geared towards reward or pain.
- Stay away from the noise derived from others who have no concern or care for your growth. When you walk into offices, you will hear the noise of crap from people who are fake and know how to get under your skin. Also, recognize when you look at your media and how it affects you, in a negative way, remove it instantly. Once the noise is removed, you will have a more positive approach to your daily routine.
- Be open to opportunities and people who can assist in your growth. When you see someone you want to emulate or respect their work ethics or success, set up time to have a phone conversation or meeting with them. When someone brings an opportunity, listen before you react. Have a role model you respect or hire a coach you know has your best interest. Pay the price in order to achieve growth!
- Have a PLAN!! Create a plan that specifically matches your desired results. In order to have a great plan, you need to do the correct research. What are the lead generation sources required? What skills do you need to improve on to create the best presentation of you? What resources do you need in order to assist you on the action plans? What are the true numbers required to hit your goals and income desired? What is your WHY?
- Own your Day, Week, Month and Year. This means, you need a winning schedule to have success in Business and your Personal life. What people do when they hear “schedule”…they run, because they find conflict or restriction behind schedules. What I found in coaching is I teach clients to establish a schedule to HAVE IT ALL!!! Make it work for all aspects of your life and keep consistent in order to achieve less stress and more freedom. Consistency is the key to success.
- Take good care of yourself. When life gets busy and we are focused on our goals we find, we drop the one major component we need to function at this level. I find we forget to schedule eating right, exercising and taking time off. What most find is that they drive so hard they forget to replenish the gas in the tank. Be mindful of the balance required to function at a driven high level.
- Have fun… If you lose the passion and forget the fun, you lose the vision of why you decided to do what you do. Sometimes, it is easy to forget everything and most of all the ability to shift. It is easy to get so deep into the game that you take all the fun out of the journey. I have to remind myself, at times, to work hard and play hard. Keep the fun in the game and the passion will stay true.
- Read everything above and see how this message fits you. I know sometimes when we plan and take notes, we forget to review. Once you have your plan together and everything is set, always take time each week to review your goals. Keep the dream and journey alive!!
In conclusion, if you found any of the points useful, take the next step and create a new intention for your life. My purpose in my life is to create a better version of myself and to inspire others to do the same. Pay attention to the details in order to achieve your daily intentions and evaluate along the way.